As this is a quick guide for busy people, let’s get straight to the business: talent isn’t always an answer when searching for a good programmer. And here’s why.
Whether you’re a small startup just looking for an enthusiastic developer ready to share your mad ideas, or you’re a huge company trying to create a dream team of the best professionals, choosing a new employee is always a challenge. For one thing, those who seem to be the best ones are already hired. For another, these days expertise is just the half of success.
If you want to find a developer who will offer exceptional and effective solutions, you need to look for an employee possessing particular qualities and skills. To make it easier for you, we have already singled out the essential traits your perfect candidate should have:
- Good communication skillsIt’s not only about coding. Being able to communicate, explain the troubles they may be having, and just finding a common language with other members of a team is one of the key traits a good developer should have. As an entrepreneur, your goal is your company success, and it can only be achieved if your employees are working together. In other words, they talk and they understand each other needs, desires, and troubles.
- Able to work under pressureNeedless to say that sometimes the deadlines can become tough. That is why, look for a person who won’t be scared away by the possibility of hard work. Otherwise, you may end up with a developer quitting your project last minute, and thus having no project at all.
- OrganizedOnce again referring to deadlines. Writing a code can be tricky, as you can’t always predict what can go wrong. Still, it doesn’t justify long delays of the development process. For this reason, a person working with a code should be organized and great at time-management.
- DedicatedFinally, a trait that is as important as any other is dedication. You should know better than anyone that if employee’s eyes sparkle with a twinkle of interest in the project, the whole working process is done easier, faster and more effective.
Now you know the key qualities for your future developer to have, so let’s have a look at some tips of how to find such an employee (and sometimes persuade to work for or with you).
How to Find Programmers for a Startup: A Partner Maybe?
First and foremost thing to keep in mind is that searching for a developer for a company-to-be is way different than for already established organizations. Not only do you have to find a professional, but you should also convince them that the germ of your idea is something really worth time and effort. That is why, we will help you with two steps. Step #1 is where to find a programmer. Step #2 is how to convince a professional to work for you.
Step #1 – Where to search
- Networking SitesThe easiest place to start are networking sites like LinkedIn. You set up the criteria of an employee you’re looking for and connect with the candidates right up your street.
- Attend Industry EventsA truly effective way to search for a developer is going to places packed with industry workers. For this reason, check out the nearest events dealing with startups, app or software development, and connect with people there.
- Places to ConnectLook for sites where programmers communicate. For instance, you can choose meetup.com, search for groups with developers and start connecting with people there. (Don’t scare them away with all your ideas at once, move the conversation slowly).
Step # 2 – How to Persuade a Programmer to Work for/with You
Needless to say that passion is essential when working on any project. However, startup ideas greatly depend on enthusiasm and excitement, so you need to take this into consideration when looking for a programmer.
Firstly, decide whether you are looking for an employee to complete the project, or you are trying to find a partner/co-founder who will breathe life into your idea.
Secondly, make sure that your startup idea already has clear definitions and goals. In other words, validate your ideas before looking for a developer. If your idea already has possible clients, it is more likely that a professional coder will get interested in your project.
Finally, be organized and set your requirements straight. There is nothing worse than a never-ending project with tons of amendments. Such undertakings are often doomed to failure and great programmers will hardly agree to work for projects as such.
Simple Steps to Find a Developer Who Will Meet Your Demands
When you have grasped the idea of a perfect candidate for your position, you need to make sure they truly satisfy your requirements. So here’s what you should do.
- Get Prepared for the InterviewYou need to prepare for the interview as well as a candidate themselves. Make sure you have noted down the questions that are crucial to be asked. To find a programmer who will offer smart solutions to your problems, you need to ask clear questions. That is why, playing it by ear at the interview wouldn’t be a smart decision.
- Let the Candidate Validate their ResumeThe position of a developer requires practical knowledge, and the ability to work in unpredicted environment. For this reason, no matter how good someone’s resume may sound, you’d better check it with some testing. For instance, choose some of the tech tasks you have already solved, and offer it as an exemplary situation. A candidate for the position should offer their solution to the problem, and this is how you can see whether they’re suitable for the position. By the way, if you don’t specialize in programming yourself, ask your professional developers to be present at the interview. This is how you can get an expert opinion.
- Focus on Cultural FitEven though writing a code may seem like something done individually, in fact it requires tons of communication among developers themselves and the whole team of workers. For this reason, it is essential for a future employee to fit into your working environment. If you need to find a software developer, for instance, and your team members are located in different parts of the world, communication is the essential part of good work.
- Be Specific and OpenThere is nothing worse than employer hiding something from their future employees. That is why be open and straightforward. Make your requirements clear. For one thing, this is how you ensure a person is aware of them, and you are on the same wavelength. For another, any employee likes to know what they are expected to do, so that there will be no unexpected surprises later.
- Make Your Offer AlluringIf you have found a truly great professional, make sure your offer is fair and enticing. Today companies are hunting for the top specialists, so don’t lose one for being greedy.
Intellectsoft Developers: When Experience Speaks for Itself
Over the years of experience Intellectsoft gathered seasoned individual developers and teams who are expert in tech solutions. From crafting user-friendly mobile apps to finding intelligent software solutions of any type and difficulty – our programmers are best experts in the field.
We work with international moguls like Jaguar, Eurostar, Harley Davidson, Nestle as well as with social projects creating applications and software to boost users experience with everyday matters, like leisure time or health issues.
Our dedicated development team always meets client’s requirements and exceeds their expectations. The secret ingredient of our leading experts is experience and commitment.
Why Choose Intellectsoft?
You can find a programmer within several easy steps at Intellectsoft. Over the decade we have been one of the leading software company offering innovative tech solutions in Eastern Europe. Such close collaboration provides fast operation, thanks to easy and convenient communication, as well as cultural fit of our team of developers.
Your future team will consist of expert professionals having extensive experience and great skills in the cutting-edge technologies like IoT or AR. We offer software development for enterprise, mobile development, IT consulting, UX/UI design, as well as Q&A Testing.
Working with us, there is daily communication between development teams and development leads. Weekly and monthly reports are exchanged among project managers, steering committee, so that the whole developing process is controlled and all of the issues are solved within a short period of time.
When you choose Intellectsoft, you choose a loyal team of expert developers ready for any tech challenge.