There are quite a number of operating systems available today. However, among all, the Android operating system is on top of the list as the most widely used OS in the world. And not by a small margin, as there are over 2.5 billion active users of the Android operating system. The implication is that the Android platform is important for anyone intending to launch a successful mobile application.
However, creating Android apps may be difficult, especially for newcomers. That’s where Android development frameworks come in. They are an organized body of pre-written code that can be utilized to accelerate and streamline the development process.
According to statistics from Statcounter, over 70% of the overall market share of mobile operating systems belongs to Android.
There are different frameworks for Android app development available. And each of them has its unique features, advantages, and disadvantages. Yet, whatever one you select needs to be the right framework. This is crucial to the success of your project as an Android developer or someone with a plan to create an Android app.
The finest Android frameworks that will enable you to create reliable and effective apps in 2023 are what we examine in this article. This review will help you pick the best framework for Android app development that meets all your requirements.
What is an Application Framework?
An app development framework, as you might have figured, is a unique tool that offers pre-made templates, components, and structures that can be utilized to create apps. Frameworks for Android app development offer pre-written code that may be reused, which may accelerate the development process. Its main goal is to create the architecture for different types of applications by offering standardized procedures and guidelines. Additionally, it can help increase the quality of applications. Some of the various software architectures it focuses on include:
- The native OS-specific apps for different operating systems
- Hybrid applications (multi-platform apps)
- Web applications (accessible through a web browser)
Android development frameworks have a component structure and customizable front-end interface. It enables easy designing of an app and code reuse, with the base code centralized in one location. In summary, Android frameworks help programmers create apps faster.
The creation of numerous Android frameworks that can standardize and accelerate deliverability to Android devices is thus based on the popularity of this mobile operating system. Flutter Framework, React Native Framework, Ionic Framework, Xamarin Framework, NativeScript Framework, and Cordova Framework are some of the well-known Android frameworks that developers may now select from.
Focusing on the most admired Android frameworks is undoubtedly necessary to find the best resources for creating high-quality Android OS applications. Let’s now look more closely at the best frameworks for Android app development to see which ones will enable you to produce worthy Google Play apps.
Top 8 Android Frameworks in 2023
Different Android frameworks offer different strengths and features. Because of that, it is essential to take certain things into consideration before choosing the most suitable for respective projects. Some typical things that must be considered are performance, cross-platform compatibility, user-friendliness, and availability of community, to mention a few. However, here are the best frameworks for Android app development in 2023.
This first framework on our list is developed directly by Google. The Flutter framework is designed to assist developers in building progressive cross-platform applications. It uses a single codebase to produce apps for different platforms. This makes it a great choice if you want to create a single app or program that can be used across numerous platforms.
Apps built using the Flutter framework frequently outperform native apps in terms of speed. This is because Flutter employs an operating system-integrated graphics engine called Skia. With this, Flutter apps are able to utilize the device’s native hardware to produce slick and responsive user interfaces.
Flutter is also renowned for its stunning and expressive user interface. Programmers can take advantage of the Dart programming language, which enables the creation of incredibly configurable and dynamic user interfaces and is used to generate Flutter widgets.
Key Features of the Flutter Framework
- Apps built on Flutter apps are often high-performance, and they can be as fast and sometimes even faster than natively built apps.
- The Flutter framework builds apps on a single codebase for different operating systems, including Android, iOS, web, and desktop. This means developers can save time and money by not having to work on new codes.
- The Dart programming language allows developers to create highly customizable and interactive UIs for the widgets.
- A large and active community of developers means there are always new plugins and features.
The Flutter framework is a great choice if you need a high-performance, cross-platform framework that also offers a beautiful and expressive UI. Flutter also has a sizable and vibrant development community that can offer guidance while learning to use.
Key Features of the React Native
- Uses Code Push feature – an option that helps to push out the app updates immediately, without the user having to consent and reload the app on his Android device.
- Supports incorporating external third-party plugins.
- Spot the bugs much easier with the use of the declarative programming approach.
- The “Hot Reloading” feature speeds up building new features and bug fixing.
- The possibility to share non-UI dependent codes.
If you are looking for a framework that can help you launch customized, cross-platform, high-quality apps much easier and faster, then React Native is a great option.
The Ionic framework powers 15% of the apps in the Google Play Store and also claims to have around 5 million developers worldwide, according to Ionic.
Key Features of the Ionic Framework
- A sizable and vibrant community of Ionic developers constantly creates fresh resources, plugins, and components. This implies that there are many options available to you when designing your app, making it simple to acquire assistance and support when you need it.
- Apps built using Ionic may be designed to feel and appear native. This is because Ionic uses native APIs to access the hardware and OS of the device.
- Ionic also makes it possible to view changes to the app immediately through a feature known as hot reloading.
- Ionic apps are modular, which means they are composed of a number of tiny, independent parts. This makes it simple to reuse code and make necessary app updates.
Ionic is a wonderful option overall for creating hybrid apps. It is simple to learn and use and has a sizable developer community. It can be utilized to produce high-quality, cross-platform apps for various startups and web development firms across industries, from the health and insurance sectors to hospitality IT.
If you decide to use Xamarin to build your app, you will get a great tool for cross-platform mobile app development. Because of that, you can create native programs for Android and iOS that share code written in C#. Most companies prefer this framework when they want cross-platform functionality but don’t want the stress of having to maintain the creation and storage of separate codebases for each one. Xamarin also comes with thorough documentation, and this makes using the framework simple to learn.
Key Features of the Xamarin Framework
- Apps perform like natively created ones as they are built in C# and then compiled into native code for each platform.
- Developers are able to share up to 90% of their code between platforms, thus saving both time and money.
- Developers can use simple visual designers to create user interfaces.
- There are built-in debugging tools for troubleshooting your mobile application.
Because of its reliability, major corporations like Microsoft and Kellogg’s often use the Xamarin Framework in creating programs. Data also shows there are over 13,000 apps built with this framework. Indeed, if you are looking for a cross-platform app development framework that offers native performance and cross-platform development, or you are looking to develop a mobile app for your business, Xamarin is a good option to consider.
NativeScript is an open-source framework that helps programmers create native mobile apps by utilizing Angular, TypeScript, and Vue. Although Progress Telerik originally created it, nStudio currently maintains it.
One of NativeScript’s standout features is the access to native Android APIs it gives. This means that NativeScript apps can be just as quick and effective as native Android apps when using the platform’s native offering engine. Numerous native Android features, including geolocation, push notifications, and camera access, are also supported by NativeScript.
Key Features of NativeScript
- Apps created with NativeScript are potentially as quick and responsive as native-built Android apps due to their use of native Android APIs.
Is what you’re after a hybrid solution — one that allows you to incorporate the best of both native and web application development? If so, NativeScript is worth taking a closer look at – it offers a unique platform capable of helping you create cross-platform apps using third-party libraries!
This framework was formerly known as PhoneGap. Apache Cordova is an open-source framework that allows developers to use web technologies to build hybrid, cross-platform apps. Apps are developed using a container that displays web content in a native app. As a result, it’s possible to develop and deliver apps fast.
This Android framework is well-known and is a popular choice for enterprise app development. Major companies like IBM and Cisco also use it to create their mobile apps.
Key Features of Apache Cordova
- Development and delivery of cross-platform apps are possible on this framework.
- It is great for new programmers.
- Native plugins can be used to augment Cordova apps.
- Cordova is a well-known framework with a significant developer community. It is simple to locate assistance and support when creating Cordova apps.
Framework7 is considered a relatively recent Android framework, though it allows the development of cross-platform apps. It is already popular among mobile app developers due to its array of distinctive features. In fact, Framework7 is the top-ranked cross-platform mobile framework on GitHub.
Key Features of Framework7
- Both Android and iOS devices have a natural look and feel when using Framework7 apps because Framework7 leverages native components and APIs.
- A rich UI library with over 60 components, including buttons, forms, tables, and more.
- Robust routing mechanism that makes switching between screens simple.
- Built-in state management system to monitor the status of your app.
According to a recent poll among developers, apps built with Framework7 are of very high performance, usability, and design level. This Android framework is perfect for someone who needs a user-friendly but feature-rich tool. Regardless of one’s competency in programming, this option is a suitable choice for all.
Key Features of JQuery Mobile
- The layout of JQuery Mobile applications is automatically changed to fit the size of the screen they are being presented on. This implies that regardless of the device’s screen size, your app will look amazing.
- JQuery Mobile API makes it simple to design compelling and interactive user experiences, even for beginners.
- JQuery Mobile apps load content and switch between pages using AJAX. This gives your app a quick and responsive feel.
- You can utilize the theme roller feature included with JQuery Mobile to alter the appearance and feel of your app. And if you’re in the mood, you can even develop your own themes.
- For JQuery Mobile, there are a variety of plugins that give the framework further functionalities. For instance, plugins that increase support for charts and social media integration.
The JQuery Mobile provides a powerful and easy-to-use mobile framework for Android development.
With this overview, it’s clear choosing the best Android framework for your specific needs and requirements can be a tricky task. But you don’t have to let this overwhelm you. If you are seeking the ideal framework for your project or Android frameworks that ensure high performance and support cross-platform usage, Intellectsoft will help you! We provide top-quality Android app development services. Rest assured, we will deliver high-performance apps and programs with cross-platform features.
Backed up with over 15 years of knowledge, Intellectsoft is a front-runner in the mobile app development sphere. Our experienced developers are experts in identifying the latest Android frameworks that would satisfy your peculiar needs.
Allow us to aid you in deciding the best framework for Android app development to employ for your future software product. Our team of experts will ensure you have an app that ticks all the boxes of your project needs. We guarantee that your app will have all the functions needed to reach the aims of your project.