Purple, announced by Pantone Color Institute as color of the year 2014, is still really trendy. Named after a wonderful flower, Radiant Orchid, purple is expressive, creative and embracing - all that is of importance in modern society. Now we want to share with you a bunch of inspirational app designs with purple themes or accents. Check them out to see how purple color behaves in these designs and what other colors match it the best way, and then decide on how it can work for your business.
First of all, lets look what Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®, said about the character of this color:
“Radiant Orchid reaches across the color wheel to intrigue the eye and spark the imagination. An invitation to innovation, Radiant Orchid encourages expanded creativity and originality, which is increasingly valued in today’s society. An enchanting harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid inspires confidence and emanates great joy, love and health. It is a captivating purple, one that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
Psychologists claim that it is associated with the following notions: royalty, fantasy, spirituality, mystery, dignity, luxury. If you want your app to communicate the points mentioned above, choose a purple color scheme for the design.
Showcase of Purple App Designs
Now it’s time to see how purple works in app designs. Check out the apps below to see how they make use of this flashy color.
1. Foresee is a smart weather app that suggests an ideal time for activities like running, walking or planting flowers according to the weather condition. Purple adds a vibe to the look of this app and the design becomes really eye-catching.
2. Often purple is associated with the beauty industry and other women’s topics. OvuView app is a period and fertility tracker. Paired with natural blue, grey and white, purple creates a stunning visual effect. The following design looks clean and clear, thus making it appealing and comfortable to the users.
3. It would be a mistake to believe that purple is female or childish. A personal finance manager app also can be in purple. Why not? Especially if this app is as game-like as CashFlow Statement Calculator. The bold color palette in which purple plays the key role and other colors are used as bright accents easily attracts the attention of the users.
4. Purple always draws attention, that’s why it’s a good choice to use it for the fixed header in the Runtastic Pedometer app. As you see, such a header will not disturb but gently stay in focus even if there’s a variety of other bright colors also used in the design.
5. One more example of purple used in the “serious” finance category. aCurrency app is a currency converter for 180+ currencies with hourly exchange rates. If you wonder whether purple is good in union with dark grey and black, have a look at this app. There you will find the best color combinations in which purple plays the main role.
Check out our set of 10 main app design trends that we consider important to follow during this autumn and winter!